Pages

Monday, September 17, 2007

Humongo Flower

I created this last night for Beate's weekend sketch challenge (WSC19). Mom had given me this huge Prima flower, and it sat on my table for a month before I finally saw a sketch that would accomodate it.

I started off using Pomegranate for the folded card part, and it was just too strong. I needed something a bit more muted, because I wanted the attention on the gorgeous flower and not on the cardstock.

I chose Night of Navy for the folded card, and I added a layer of Brocade Background designer paper (gorgeous paper!). From there, I had my colors for the rest of the card: Old Olive and River Rock. I used flowers from both Stem Silhouettes and Garden Silhouettes on the little stamped panel. To get that faded effect, I stamped the flower once with Olive ink, and without reinking, stamped again. It's a great way to give your artwork some depth.

I sponged some Night of Navy and some Old Olive inks onto twill tape so it would more closely coordinate with the colors in the card, and then I tied a piece of Artichoke grosgrain ribbon over the twill.

The scallop circle punch is just wonderful! I punched out River Rock with the scallop punch, and then used the 1 3/8" punch for the Olive circle layer. The saying (from Vases in Vogue) is stamped with Old Olive.

This was fun to make. I was watching Iron Chef while trying to put this together, and I was chatting with 3 ladies online all at the same time. They accused me of ignoring them! Hee hee!!

5 comments:

Joan Ervin said...

Wow, Holly, this is absolutely gorgeous!! The colors are just perfect and Beats's sketch is the perfect layout for the big flower!! Ok, now, when do you want the rest of the flowers??

SweetMissDaisy (Anna Wight) said...

WOW!! That flower is AMAZING!! Great job with the sketch too - your card is lovely!

Karen Gladney said...

Great card. Love the flower on it. Why not come on over to visit my blog for your chance of winning blog candy!

Angelnorth said...

Love the faded effect os stamping twice without reinking. The whole card is lovely.

Andrea, said...

Great card, that flower is fab