Pages

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Vintage Jar of Flowers

Happy Sunday, friends!  It's a warm, sunny, windy, summery kind of day today.  Hubby has been outside mowing all day and I've been cleaning up in my studio.  I'm going country on this card with this fun gingham paper and this rustic jar of flowers.



I started with a piece of Kraft cardstock cut in half (4.25" x 11) and then folded it in half to make an A2 sized card. I cut the red gingham paper from the Summer Fresh 6x6 paper pad (Simple Stories) to 3.25" x 5.5". Some white paper was cut with the Country Girl Border die (Cheery Lynn Designs) and I glued it to the sides of the red gingham paper before adhering the paper to my kraft card base.


Next, I die cut the Tall Canning Jar from white cardstock. I pulled out my Salty Ocean Distress Stain and dabbed it all over the jar. Once this blue coloring dried, I dabbed some Brushed Pewter Distress Stain all over the blue jar and spritzed it with water to help the stain move. I didn't want it to look completely silvery - I just wanted a hint of shine. I let this dry and checked out the color. Since I wanted a rustic country look, I sponged some brown ink around the edges. Now it looks like an old vintage jar that's been sitting out on a country porch for years.  You can see the shine as well as the sponging in this close up picture below.



I set the jar aside to dry completely while I cut out my flowers. I die cut the Honey Blossom Sprig from green paper and then again from white paper. I dabbed the white flowers with the Squeezed Lemonade Distress Stain and set it aside to dry. Once it was dry, I cut out the pale yellow flowers and glued them over the top of the green ones. I cut the lower pieces of the sprig off and arranged them all so they would fit into the jar and then taped the pieces down on the back. I then wrapped some linen thread around the neck of the jar for that final country touch. The jar was affixed to the red gingham paper with some Joy Foam Pads.

This turned out so cute! Now it's got me thinking what else I can put in that jar. Any ideas from you crafty gals out there?? :-)

Please feel free to use this code, Holly-10, when you go shopping at Classy Cards 'n Such.  You can pick up these dies and distress stains and papers as well as tons of other crafty supplies.  I'm entering this card into the following challenges:

Ink on my Fingers #258 - Vintage/Old
Eclectic Ellapu - Anything Goes
Our Creative Corner - Anything Goes
Craft Calendar May Challenge - Blooms and Blossoms



7 comments:

Words and Pictures said...

How lovely - the gingham makes a great background, and the jar looks fab, and what a lovely way to use those flowery die-cuts! Thanks for playing along with us at Our Creative Corner.
Alison x

Claudia N. said...

LOVE your chosen textures and colours and I LOVE JARS! A lovely make!
Thank you very much for joining us at OurCreativeCorner!

Claudia x

Elaine aka Ellapu said...

This is so different and gorgeous. Thank you for sharing with us Eclectics this week. Hope to see you in future challenge
Elaine aka Ellapu

Kimberly S said...

What a cute card, and great use of the distress stains! Thank you for joining us for the Creative Inspirations Paint Challenge. Hope to see you again! :) hugs, Kimberly

Hels Sheridan said...

I love that jar of flowers Holly, the silver makes it really vintage looking! Thanks for joining in with the Sunday Stamper x

Seafield Jo said...

This is a great card, so effective. The flowers are so pretty and I love the gingham paper, looks so fresh.

Thanks for joining us at Crafty Calendar challenge and good luck.

Jo x

Laurart said...

Gorgeous card! Thanks for sharing this with us at Our Creative Corner - Love from Laura xxx